DH build with some changes

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

DH build with some changes

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:53 am

Well fellas me and my father are bout to start on a duck hunter build! Im very excited because this is our first boat build.

Well after looking at the plans and going over them countless times i have decided to make some changes like i will be adding a hunt deck on the stern and i will be increasing the width of the sides to 10 inches while increasing the height by a couple inches. The floor will stay the normal dimensions other than the stern taper being removed and the going with a true flat bottom.

I would like to increase the width of the cockpit and i was wondering if it would be structurally sound to either A) bend the cockpit framing outward a little. Or B) to make the cockpit framing end at the bow and stern bulkheads which will be wider and the make one in between the bow bulkhead and the bow the same original width. But if this would compromise the structural integrity i will leave it the regular width.
shsuhunter

Re: DH build with some changes

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 am

shsuhunter wrote:Well fellas me and my father are bout to start on a duck hunter build! Im very excited because this is our first boat build.

Well after looking at the plans and going over them countless times i have decided to make some changes like i will be adding a hunt deck on the stern and i will be increasing the width of the sides to 10 inches while increasing the height by a couple inches. The floor will stay the normal dimensions other than the stern taper being removed and the going with a true flat bottom.

I would like to increase the width of the cockpit and i was wondering if it would be structurally sound to either A) bend the cockpit framing outward a little. Or B) to make the cockpit framing end at the bow and stern bulkheads which will be wider and the make one in between the bow bulkhead and the bow the same original width. But if this would compromise the structural integrity i will leave it the regular width.

In increasing your side width to 10" you can effectively open the cockpit up about 4" without changing the angles of the bulkheads.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 pm

ill probably just roll with that extra 4" but once i get the sides on ill probably be doing some measuring and changing of some thing.

also brad with your hunt deck how did you do the drain? i was looking at making 3 compartments in the hunt deck, 2 sealed off compartments for foam and one for the gas lines to go into through one of those boots. i was thinking of running a piece of PVC or copper tubing from the back of the hunt deck to the stern bulkhead which would be a pretty long piece to run.
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

shsuhunter wrote:ill probably just roll with that extra 4" but once i get the sides on ill probably be doing some measuring and changing of some thing.

also brad with your hunt deck how did you do the drain? i was looking at making 3 compartments in the hunt deck, 2 sealed off compartments for foam and one for the gas lines to go into through one of those boots. i was thinking of running a piece of PVC or copper tubing from the back of the hunt deck to the stern bulkhead which would be a pretty long piece to run.

Yes, 3 sections with the outside sections being foam. However, I don't run any pipe from the cockpit. I just put a false floor in the compartment and let the water run underneath.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Ok so your saying you just cut some escape holes in the stern bulkhead and in the false transom to allow the wate to run into the middle compartment of the hunt deck? Which would make sense.

And when setting up the hunt deck in the privite message you said id need to beef up the transom some more. I will be using 1/2 ply of the bottom sides of the boat and i was going to frame the hunt deck and add quite a few braces in there to support running a 16hp longtail on it.. So if i did this and still just did the 3/4 ply for the transom and added the 3/4 ply where the motor mounts should that be enough? Also i will be adding a aluminum cover
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:56 pm

shsuhunter wrote:Ok so your saying you just cut some escape holes in the stern bulkhead and in the false transom to allow the wate to run into the middle compartment of the hunt deck? Which would make sense.

Yes.

shsuhunter wrote:And when setting up the hunt deck in the privite message you said id need to beef up the transom some more. I will be using 1/2 ply of the bottom sides of the boat and i was going to frame the hunt deck and add quite a few braces in there to support running a 16hp longtail on it.. So if i did this and still just did the 3/4 ply for the transom and added the 3/4 ply where the motor mounts should that be enough? Also i will be adding a aluminum cover

I'm not an engineer, but I would recommend making it a true double thickness of 3/4 ply. Likewise you will want to tie it into the the "false transom".

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm

haha well i appreciate it! ill be posting pictures soon of all the progress. sorry bout all the questions.
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:49 pm

shsuhunter wrote:haha well i appreciate it! ill be posting pictures soon of all the progress. sorry bout all the questions.

No worries, I enjoy helping others out with their build. Wish these boards would have been around when I built my first DH in 2003.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm

NCSUDucker wrote:
shsuhunter wrote:haha well i appreciate it! ill be posting pictures soon of all the progress. sorry bout all the questions.

No worries, I enjoy helping others out with their build. Wish these boards would have been around when I built my first DH in 2003.

Brad

ya i can imagine doing this alone from just the plans alone could be rather difficult. especially when it comes to bouncing ideas off people
shsuhunter

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 am

Got the floor cut out and the chines put on.
shsuhunter

Next

Return to Boat Building