DH build with some changes

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Re: DH build with some changes

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 am

You've got one of the hardest parts done ;) Keep us posted on your build.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 am

Haha ya brad you aint kidding! But for the first time.. It wasnt that bad the hardest part was putting the first one on but the second one was a cake walk.
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 am

shsuhunter wrote:Haha ya brad you aint kidding! But for the first time.. It wasnt that bad the hardest part was putting the first one on but the second one was a cake walk.

Actually, by removing the rocker, you simplified attaching the chines by a ton in not having to curve them again. Keep us posted and I'll be posting the unveiling of the Toller Old School here in a couple of days :D

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 am

NCSUDucker wrote:
shsuhunter wrote:Haha ya brad you aint kidding! But for the first time.. It wasnt that bad the hardest part was putting the first one on but the second one was a cake walk.

Actually, by removing the rocker, you simplified attaching the chines by a ton in not having to curve them again. Keep us posted and I'll be posting the unveiling of the Toller Old School here in a couple of days :D

Brad

Ya i could imagine how that would be horrible to do for the bow and stern. Even with 2 people. And the old school huh. Working on a new project? Or already finished?
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

shsuhunter wrote:
NCSUDucker wrote:

Brad

Ya i could imagine how that would be horrible to do for the bow and stern. Even with 2 people. And the old school huh. Working on a new project? Or already finished?

Pretty much finished, one more coat of epoxy on the top side and glass the coaming. Hope to have grass rails on by the weekend and after that, she'll be pretty much done. Its pretty much a drag/row/tow double ended layout boat. I built it for our local DU chapter to raffle off.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:38 pm

hey brad if the side of the floor isn't exactly flush with the chines will this cause a problem? i didn't notice until after i put the sides on and there's a small gap. i tried to closed off by pulling the ply with some extras screws and i think the glue kinda filled the left over gap.. but i just wanted to make sure.
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52 pm

shsuhunter wrote:hey brad if the side of the floor isn't exactly flush with the chines will this cause a problem? i didn't notice until after i put the sides on and there's a small gap. i tried to closed off by pulling the ply with some extras screws and i think the glue kinda filled the left over gap.. but i just wanted to make sure.

Not going to make a huge difference. Just fill it with thickened epoxy once you sand the floor back flush with the chines. This is where I was telling you, that little variances like this will compound and to use the plans more as guide while getting actual measurements from your boat.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:16 am

Got the sides put on! Now time for the bow and transom. Should have them cut tomorrow
shsuhunter

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 am

got the bow put in yesterday. has a spot for the lights on the top.
shsuhunter

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Got the transom in as well as the end of the hunt deck. Coming along nicely i reckon.
shsuhunter

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Building