DH build with some changes

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Re: DH build with some changes

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Maybe its an optical illusion, but did you end up going with 3/8 or 1/2 ply for the sides? What are you going to do on the transom where the motor mounts (in other words, why the "half" transom right now)?

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 pm

I did 1/2" ply on the sides, adds more weight but i felt it would be more sturdy if i happened to hit anything.
And i am going to be running a long tail on this boat and i talked to some folks that used them wit a hunt deck and they informed me to mount the motor like you normally would which is in front of the hunt deck. Reasons being it will raise the stern end (due to the foam in the hunt deck) to account for the weight of the motor and you make the deck 19-20 inches with the end being 6 inches tall. You can still use the mud motor and with the deck being short you the tail will be 2 ft under water before it touches the deck.
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 pm

shsuhunter wrote:I did 1/2" ply on the sides, adds more weight but i felt it would be more sturdy if i happened to hit anything.
And i am going to be running a long tail on this boat and i talked to some folks that used them wit a hunt deck and they informed me to mount the motor like you normally would which is in front of the hunt deck. Reasons being it will raise the stern end (due to the foam in the hunt deck) to account for the weight of the motor and you make the deck 19-20 inches with the end being 6 inches tall. You can still use the mud motor and with the deck being short you the tail will be 2 ft under water before it touches the deck.

Cool deal on the sides. How was it getting the 1/2" ply to bend? Just for clarification of a common misconception. The foam won't decrease the draft. The foam is simply there to add floatation in case the boat becomes swamped. In reality, it actually adds weight to the boat, albeit less than a couple of pounds. However, with that being said, moving the motor forward will raise the stern.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

NCSUDucker wrote:Cool deal on the sides. How was it getting the 1/2" ply to bend? Just for clarification of a common misconception. The foam won't decrease the draft. The foam is simply there to add floatation in case the boat becomes swamped. In reality, it actually adds weight to the boat, albeit less than a couple of pounds. However, with that being said, moving the motor forward will raise the stern.

Brad

it actually wasnt that bad. once we got one side on the other side was cake. we used a large clamp to help keep it flexed while screwing it in. And ya i completely under stand the guy i heard about these plans built his the same way (except its a modified big momma which youve probably seen its cajunwannabe's boat off duckhuntingchat.com) and from other people i heard its the best way to go with a long tail and a hunt deck (did my searching on mudmotortalk.com)
shsuhunter

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 am

Here's a pic of how the boat is looking now. Got the bulkhead put in and working on the braces which are all cut to fit but only have 2 left to shape.

shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Looking good. ;)

As for some related news, I'm pissed at Mudmotor Talk right now...picked up virus via a link a guy had posted up on DHC. Nasty one that I'm going to end up having to take my computer into the shop to have it fixed. So any questions or comments I put up will be via phone or my school computer. Regardless, I just started a flat bottom DH for a gentleman out in MT. However, he will be running a short tail MB 23 so the the transom mount will be at the stern of the boat. Got the sides installed last night, flushed everything up and filled the screw holes.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm

ya i saw yalls post on the "custom grab bar" thread. thats strange im always on that site in longtail talk. do yall have a virus blocker?

and thanks im ready to start glassing the bottom while its still warm down here (still in the high 70s)

awesome bout the new build are you going to post pictures of this one?
shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm

shsuhunter wrote:ya i saw yalls post on the "custom grab bar" thread. thats strange im always on that site in longtail talk. do yall have a virus blocker?

and thanks im ready to start glassing the bottom while its still warm down here (still in the high 70s)

awesome bout the new build are you going to post pictures of this one?

Yep. Got McAffee and it told me once I had it but it can't remove it.

As for the build pictures, maybe some here and there. I quit posting such detailed pics after having someone basically build a smaller version of the Hellcat using my "step by step" plans. Sucks to have that much hard work go into something to have it ripped off :| Will be posting pictures of the completed build of the Toller Old School this weekend.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:39 pm

well that might be your problem.. i had McAffee once and got a virus so bad my computer died and the guys at geeksquad had no idea what happened so i had to buy a new computer. i quite using McAffee and Norton cause they both stunk and i picked up kaspersky and love it. but thats my personal experience.

and i hear you on that especially form a business point of view.
shsuhunter

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:40 am

Got the bottom taped and fiberglassed. Now just to do a couple more layers of epoxy.

shsuhunter

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Building