DH build with some changes

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Re: DH build with some changes

Postby Rottford » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:40 pm

I'd love to see some more pictures of this build ;)
Rottford

Postby shsuhunter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 am

i haven't had to much time to work on it but i FINALLY have a free weekend this weekend so im going to be putting the keels on and hopefully getting 2 coats of glass down
shsuhunter

Postby Rottford » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm

It's a slow go on mine as well. My light bill will be outrageous from keeping my garage above 60 degrees with an electric heater .... LOL :o
Rottford

Postby shsuhunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 am

well i got the keels on today didn't get to do everything i wanted to but will hopefully have some epoxy laid down this week. I'm also going to be getting some aluminum strips to put over the keels for a little added protection. Then on to painting the bottom.

shsuhunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 am

shsuhunter wrote:well i got the keels on today didn't get to do everything i wanted to but will hopefully have some epoxy laid down this week. I'm also going to be getting some aluminum strips to put over the keels for a little added protection. Then on to painting the bottom.

Are you planning on glassing your keels? If so you'll definitely want to round over the edges as well as create a concave using thickened epoxy where they meet the hull. Otherwise you are going to have a royal PITA to glass. Boat is looking nice. I'm about done with the modified DH that I started back the last weekend in Oct. Pretty much just glassing and paint left. Cold weather is a bitch when it comes to glassing though! I've got a wall mount propane heater in my shop but the ceiling isn't insulated and it has an open attic/storage area up top. Lot of empty space to try and heat. I keep the epoxy close the to the heater, but with the change in temps when I cut the heater off at night I get some serious amounts of blush that I have to was off...which I absolutely despise doing :lol: I still have to finish paint on the Toller Old School top side. Get caught up one thing and forget about the others!

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 am

im actually not going to glass the keels.. but i am going to round the edges a little and put that fillet on them then im going to put 3 coats of epoxy on and then get some aluminum sheets to put over the keels (got the idea from a buddy off duckhuntingchat) its been in the upper 30s here and im afraid if i put some epoxy on the chemical reaction wont happen completely and will fail. so i may just wait a couple months till it warms up down here to finish it. which im not happy bout cause i dont like not completing something in a timely manner but when it comes down to having it last i reckon i can wait.
shsuhunter

Postby Rottford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:42 am

I use this in my detached garage to keep temp around 65-70 degrees. ProFusion Heat Industrial Fan-Forced Heater — 5600 Watts, 19,000 BTU, 240 Volt, Model# PH936. I got it on sale from Northern Tools for less than $100. It has a built in thermostat and cycles off/on. Runs off 220 volts and does a great job keeping things cozy. When I built a Gator last winter, it only raised the light bill about $35/month when I ran it.
Rottford

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 pm

shsuhunter wrote:im actually not going to glass the keels.. but i am going to round the edges a little and put that fillet on them then im going to put 3 coats of epoxy on and then get some aluminum sheets to put over the keels (got the idea from a buddy off duckhuntingchat) its been in the upper 30s here and im afraid if i put some epoxy on the chemical reaction wont happen completely and will fail. so i may just wait a couple months till it warms up down here to finish it. which im not happy bout cause i dont like not completing something in a timely manner but when it comes down to having it last i reckon i can wait.

The aluminum is a great idea and I've looked into it before but couldn't find the thickness I wanted in a solid piece to from bow to stern without breaking the bank. As for not glassing, I'd hate to see you go through that much trouble in installing the aluminum pieces to not not glass the keels. If you were running a dense wood such as mahogany or white oak you could possibly get by with it. However, speaking from experience, unglassed pine even if saturated with epoxy will swell and contract eventually taking on moisture leading to cracking and splitting. Especially once the summer months roll around. They also take a ton of abuse which will lead to gouges in them even on the sides with the aluminum strips, thus letting in water seep in. Regardless, the impending repairs will be a royal pain in the arse if you have the keels screwed from the inside. Anyway, just my .02, take it for what its worth :lol:

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby shsuhunter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 am

finally got to do some work on the boat.
shsuhunter

Postby DuckMulisha » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 pm

What's the status of the build man?!? I just joined up on this site and I lve been thinking the DH is the one I want. What have you spent in materials, ball park figure. You and your old man have done a heck of a job. I think I'm gonna get started on my own here once the season rolls around since I can't hunt all the time, plus it will be motivational for me to finish it ASAP. what is the lenth?

sorry for all the questions,again awesome job!

John
DuckMulisha

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Building