Fairing 101

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Fairing 101

Postby Northeast Quacker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Getting ready finally to build a DH.i have 2 questions

1. What is fairing? My search and interpretation is smoothing out the rough spots and filling small gaps

2. What exactly do you use for fairing . Is there a compound on the market ?

Thanks guys
Dick
Northeast Quacker

Re: Fairing 101

Postby beekeeper » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 am

Fairing is filling low spots with material and then sanding the excess off to create a "fair" surface. I have faired scarf joints in plywood to make the two pieces level and smooth (fair). After the paint is applied the joint is not noticeable. I used epoxy and wood flower (sanding dust from my sander).
Here is a link to a fairing filler that might work better (401 microlite). http://www.shopmaninc.com/westfillers.html
I have not used it myself. Some strip builders fair the whole hull for a very smooth finish.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 am

Exactly what bee said. I will add that I have used micro balloons for a few things. They create a filler that is awesome to sand but from what I have read they are not to be used below the water line.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby trumblee24 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:36 am

Instead of using a wood flower and epoxy, would a wood compound (3M Wood Filler) work the same?
trumblee24

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:14 pm

trumblee24 wrote:Instead of using a wood flower and epoxy, would a wood compound (3M Wood Filler) work the same?

I would not, off the shelf wood fillers are not truly waterproof. Epoxy mixed with wood floor is waterproof and stronger than the surrounding wood to boot.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Return to Boat Building