Return to Board & Questions

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Return to Board & Questions

Postby billfolder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello, My name is Tony

I was a member on the original board, I didnt post a whole lot but looked around alot. I purchased my DH plans about 5 or 6 years ago and have yet to start due to family obligations, work , etc.

Well, I got the itch about 1 month ago and want to build a layout type boat for small ponds and creeks. I found an old issue of Field & Stream that had a plywood boat that I think will fit the bill. I have most of the plywood for the build (acx)/clear pine boards.

My questions to you guys is this:
1. Has anybody just used the epoxy garage floor system to coat their boat with? Did it work or not?

2.Has anybody used the waterproofer produts at the DIY stores to seal the ply. and if so were you able to paint over the product? What brand of sealer?

Trying to build this as inexpensivly as I can. I have the glass,tape etc. from my original supply list for the DH but don't want to use it if I don't have to, plus trying to build this as quickly as I can.

Thanks in advance
billfolder

Re: Return to Board & Questions

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 pm

billfolder wrote:Hello, My name is Tony

I was a member on the original board, I didnt post a whole lot but looked around alot. I purchased my DH plans about 5 or 6 years ago and have yet to start due to family obligations, work , etc.

Well, I got the itch about 1 month ago and want to build a layout type boat for small ponds and creeks. I found an old issue of Field & Stream that had a plywood boat that I think will fit the bill. I have most of the plywood for the build (acx)/clear pine boards.

My questions to you guys is this:
1. Has anybody just used the epoxy garage floor system to coat their boat with? Did it work or not?

2.Has anybody used the waterproofer produts at the DIY stores to seal the ply. and if so were you able to paint over the product? What brand of sealer?

Trying to build this as inexpensivly as I can. I have the glass,tape etc. from my original supply list for the DH but don't want to use it if I don't have to, plus trying to build this as quickly as I can.

Thanks in advance

Welcome back Tony. Wish I could help but don't have any experience with either.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby beekeeper » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I have used the (2 part) epoxy floor paint on 3 boats. I think it was Rustoleum, about $65 for a one gal. kit. One went to another person and I have not heard from it. The two I kept are doing fine. One (my son's) has had limited use but no problems. Mine has some history and is doing better than any other paint or varnish finish I have tried. It is very scuff and scratch resistant compared to latex or varnish over epoxy.
I have had one issue. On the inside floor I mixed stair tread non slip sand particles with the paint to make a non slip surface. I doubled the sand and this caused the paint to release from the wood in one spot. It seems to not have been enough paint to soak into and bond with the wood. Following the directions or forgoing the non slip idea probably would have worked better.
I have not tried to paint over the epoxy paint but suspect you would need to scuff it with sand paper before spraying.
The one part garage floor paints are some what less money but I have not tried them. I consider the 2 part I have used well worth the cost. It takes less coats than latex.
Years ago I put a plywood floor in an alum. boat. Treated it with Thompson Water Seal and then painted it. Paint completely peeled off. Waited a few weeks and tried again. Worked better but it still came off in several places. The manufacturer should be able to tell you if it will work. I have seen some deck paint over that might work, but $.
Glad you are building and posting. If you don't mined could you post a link or pictures about the sneak boat. I don't duck hunt but I like the boats.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby billfolder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:18 pm

beekeeper,

Did you apply the 2 part over anything or straight on the bare wood? did you use any glass tape and epoxy on the edges?

Plan on doing a truck bed liner on the floor and using epoxy floor paint, etc. on the rest of the interior and full exterior.

I will try to get the link for F&S to work, last night when I found it on their web page It would only show 1 pic and the directions for the build.

I had the magazine in a pile of hunting mags. at home and just happen to find it when I was clearing them out of my closet. I could scan it and email it to you if I can't get the link to work, message me your email and i'll do that if it doesn't.

Tony
billfolder

Postby beekeeper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Painted over bare wood, no epoxy saturation coat, glass, or tape. I see no reason it would not adhere to them, with proper preparation of the surface. Latex paint and varnish will, and the epoxy paint seems much better to me.
If the boat design and plans are very old the boat probably has chine logs, etc. and no glass or epoxy will be needed.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Return to Boat Building