Duckhunter build...

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Duckhunter build...

Postby Colby » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:03 am

I am new to the forum and this in my first post. I have read through all the info here in preparation of the build.

A couple questions:

1. Does anyone have contact info for Gator boats? I ordered plans two weeks ago and have not gotten them. I never got a confirmation email but the money was drawn from my acct. I can't find a phone number and their email doesn't work.

2. While waiting for the plans to arrive I am trying to gather materials, atleast the wood anyway. Does anyone have a copy of the supply list they are willing to share?

3. I am a novice with any woodworking, but I am good at doing things with my hands, and I am ready for a challenge. However I don't have a full wood shop. I've got a circular saw, jig saw, drill etc. My understanding is this project can be done pretty bare bones correct ?

If anyone has any advice to help my avoid some bonehead new guy mistakes id love to hear it.

If/when I get the plans and can get the build going I will be sure to post pictures.

Thanks.
Colby

Re: Duckhunter build...

Postby beekeeper » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:31 am

I can't help you with the Gator Boat's contact issue nor how the Duckhunter is built, but welcome to the forum and ;) the "Dark Side" (boat building).
Take your time building, understand the plans before starting, also practicing on scrap wood or making a model can be helpful.
Good luck with the build and post some pictures if you can.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Colby » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I am getting really excited for the build, still waitin on plans though.

I have been shopping plywood and I have three pieces of 5'x5' ply available for virtually no cost. I would like to make the boat just a bit wider so I was contemplating joining the three pieces for the bottom to give me a DH that is 15'x5' floor. Without actually having seen the plans yet I am thinking it wouldn't be to difficult to make this modification.

My concern would be having two joints on the bottom as opposed to one. Can anyone foresee this being an issue from a structure point of view ?

Colby
Colby

Postby Colby » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:26 am

Ok, got the plans in the mail. I have read and re-read them about a dozen times now. I am a college student so I am attempting this build with little woodworking experience and a relatively small budget. My objective is to do the boat for $1200 or less, not including the motor. The motor will be the one area of the boat that I plan to splurge and buy a new honda.

I had anticipated a new four stroke 9.9 as I do plan to run rivers. Will this be enough to get the boat on plane with two guys and a dog?

The build will commence Monday night with pics to follow.
Colby

Return to Boat Building