Boat weight

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Re: Boat weight

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks bee and i understand wear you coming from with thoughts of weight and paddeling. And all your info is very much good food for thought. As for as the mini i am trying to bring the weight in around 130 to 150 that weight i can handle out the back of the truck with no problemat all. Im going to build the full size dh first and bring the weight down as far as i can saftely. One so the trolling motor will push it very well and two should the water get puahed out and i am on a mud flat without enough water to float i can push pole it easyer to deeper water. I have been looking at this for sometime and have figured out the dh is the best plan for what i am trying to acheive it lends its self to mods much better then any other boat of that style.
cajunsnowchaser

Postby beekeeper » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:19 pm

cajunsnowchaser wrote:................glass. One quick question on the glass and epoxy. What would be your thoughts on a lighter glass being im only using a trolling motor are should i roll with the six onglass.

Simple question, but not knowing why you want to reduce it, hard to give simple answer. More food for thought:
Fiberglass will add several things to the boat. It will strengthen the plywood, increase it's puncture, and abrasion resistance, and make for stronger joints. It also adds expense, time, labor and weight. You have to decide how much "strength, resistance, etc." you need or want for your usage. Also how much "$, labor, etc. is it worth.
For some boat designs, choices of wood, and building techniques, fiberglass is required to make the boat "strong enough" or even functional.
For Gator Boats built to plans, it is not required to build with or to have a boat strong enough for most usage. For the DH Brad says it is worth doing. I don't disagree.
If you are adding glass for increased abrasion resistant consider only glassing the outside of the bottom. I would guess less than 6ozs. S-glass would not offer very much protection. You might consider a different weave for added protection.
If you are using it to join the joints consider only taping the seams not the whole boat. If you eliminate the chine logs I would stay with the 6oz.
I think most weight savings in wood boats can be found in the reduction of wood or the choices of lumber species. Another can of worms.
Lighter woods are generally weaker. How much strength do you need? Your answers will be found in building and using the boat. Relying on experienced builders who actually use their boats (Brad) will put you in the ball park.
No boat is perfect. Every change has repercussions.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks bee as always good info. Your right no simple answers. And it will come down to build and try it and if not what i need build again. One thing is for sure i talked with my uncle who has hunted this refuge for many years with the craft im trying to build he says when i get it right i will have the best duckhunting rig in there and should see awesome results once i learn where the birds are and where they are going. Aain thanks to all who give info and pics of build coming soon as i get my plans in.
cajunsnowchaser

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 am

Hello all. I have this question on my mind and looking for some insite. Im going to build me a mini dh and im going to remove the rocker. My mini is going to have a 12 foot bottom. Should i leave the with of the ply 48 inches are narrow it up some. Im a big guy 6 foot tall 350 pounds. So my thinking is remove the rocker and leave it flat and 48 inches from have way point back to transom. Yalls thoughts on this idea.
cajunsnowchaser

Previous

Return to Boat Building