1890s scull boat restoration

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

1890s scull boat restoration

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Back in November I lucked out and purchased a vintage scull from a gentleman up in CT who was kind enough to deliver to me on his way to FL for the holidays. She is a phenomenal float that needs some TLC but nothing I cant handle. It still has all the bronze hardware including the oar locks and half rounds on the rub points and keel. It is believed the bung plug is the original and the amount of work that went into her by hand simply amazes me. I only wish that it could talk. To think that there is a good chance that she took part in the market gunning days and the men who used her. Regardless, I'll be pulling the deck over the next couple of days. The lower hull is in relatively good shape but I'll have to replace the coaming and decking as well as few ribs. I apologize for linking to FB for the pics but its a royal pain and kept deleting what I typed on the ipad as I tried to navigate back and forth posting pics.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 7938434885

Hope everyone is having a great season.
Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Re: 1890s scull boat restoration

Postby beekeeper » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:02 am

Interesting design. What sealed the seams between the boards? Some of the old cypress boats were left in the water year round or even sunk to keep the boards swollen and the joints tight.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Re: 1890s scull boat restoration

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:48 am

beekeeper wrote:Interesting design. What sealed the seams between the boards? Some of the old cypress boats were left in the water year round or even sunk to keep the boards swollen and the joints tight.

beekeeper

It was originally cotton and caulk, at some oint someone glassed it with polyester resin and put some kind of sealant between some of the seams.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Return to Boat Building