Chine/side angle

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Chine/side angle

Postby Colby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 am

Ok, got a question. Been mulling over the boat and I am thinking about some modifications. Specifically I want to change the angle/flare of the sides to 45 degrees and make them 17"w vs the 8" the plans call for. This would give me a 48" wide boat with a 72" beam, if I am using the terms correctly.

Any thoughts or advice ? It seems that a 48" wide boat with 60" beam is the standard, but I'm wondering if I cannot et a little more stability and loading capacity with this mod. I assumed this would up the friction/resistance and be heavier resulting in the need for a larger motor. Oh, and I plan on taking the rocker out in the rear of the boat.

Look forward to advice and thoughts!

Colby
Colby

Re: Chine/side angle

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:32 am

I havent bulit mine yet lol still waiting on plans to arrive. But i would like to hear some opinions on your question. My own thinking is that increasing the angle and height of that side piece my cause some saftey factors to arise from so much of the side height not being supported by the chine log. The origanal height calls for eight inches and the chine is only a few onches shorter meaning it supports the stress of the eight inch side properly so oncreasing it to 17 inches you may have to redeisgn the chine log to a larger and taller log to account for your increase in height of the side. Hope my thinking makes since and that others with more info and expirence will give info. Im simple useing my leanered skills of working construction. Any time u I
ncrease height are how wide something is past its normal construction plans you most also increase its size of load bearing surfaces.
cajunsnowchaser

Postby beekeeper » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Would adding 12" to the floor work better for you? = (60" floor X 72" beam) = less draft, more planning surface, and same angles for framing
Any changes from the plans will have repercussions. You have to plan and build for all of them, or copy what somebody has already done.
Wider beam = Wider cockpit opening. May need more bracing, stiffeners, etc.
Just asking. I hope a duckhunter builder will answer you questions, soon.

cajunsnowchaser mentioned the chine log. I have a question also. I thought a chine log's purpose was to connect two panels together with fasteners and/or glue, and only need to be large/thick enough to accommodate them. Do the chine logs have other functions in the DH design?

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:00 am

I agree with bee, would be much easier to increase the width of the floor to get your addd width. If I were going to increase the side height that much, I would definitely go with 3/8 or 1/2" ply.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Return to Boat Building