Removing the rocker duckhunter

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Removing the rocker duckhunter

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:37 am

I have been reading over my plans and it says during the build to support the boat at the bulkheads to help it attain its natural up sweep of rocker in the front. I want to make the boat a true flat bottom what would be the best way to go about removing the upward sweep in the front of the boat to get it to lay flat.
cajunsnowchaser

Re: Removing the rocker duckhunter

Postby beekeeper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:12 pm

cajunsnowchaser wrote:I have been reading over my plans and it says during the build to support the boat at the bulkheads to help it attain its natural up sweep of rocker in the front. I want to make the boat a true flat bottom what would be the best way to go about removing the upward sweep in the front of the boat to get it to lay flat.

I'll guess, but when making any changes to a design you are on your own.
Widen the beam at the bow to = the max. beam, and then reduce the sides flair to vertical.(and change the frame, top panels, etc.to accommodate that), or cut an arch along the bottom side of the side panels to compensate for the rocker( how much?, I don't know).

Why do want to remove all the rocker ("make the boat a true flat bottom")? Would that not change the design to that of a mortar box, or a floating dock. It is my understanding that the DH is basically a displacement hull. Some builders remove the rear rocker to improve its ability to plane and increases stability. For polling or with a troll motor some rocker would be desirable. A "true flat bottom" would hinder propulsion and maneuverability. Removing excess rocker can increase stability but not as much as increasing beam.
If the DH design does not fit your needs or wants,it might be easier to find another design that works for you. Tweaking a design is fun and can be rewarding, but if the changes are uncharted water it could render the boat less than desirable. Most boat designs have evolved over time into at least functional boats for their intended purpose.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm

cajunsnowchaser wrote:I have been reading over my plans and it says during the build to support the boat at the bulkheads to help it attain its natural up sweep of rocker in the front. I want to make the boat a true flat bottom what would be the best way to go about removing the upward sweep in the front of the boat to get it to lay flat.

In order to have no rocker in the front with this building style you would have to remove the curve on the floor headed towards the bow. And like bee says, you essentially have a "mortar box". It would be a 14' long by 48" wide box with some sloped sides. What is the reasoning behind removing the rake? Without it, a boat would be unable to handle any type of weather and be much harder to get on plane without over powering it.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:13 pm

It is simple a idea i am kicking around with some hunting freinds of mine. They found out we are getting a new peice of marah to hunt this up coming season on our lease and its a really long boat ride. So what i was thinking is make in bottomed a 16 foot 48 true flat and pull it out there and leave it for the season and when we need to move it we can just hook it to our run boat and drag it to a new pond. Reason is our lease we are cannot build fixed in blinds they have to be mobile.
cajunsnowchaser

Return to Boat Building