DuckHunter Build

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

DuckHunter Build

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Got my plans. Beginning to gather materials. The only "local" supplier of marine plywood only carries fir. Should I make a 3 hour drive to get oukeme?
AmericanBrittGuy

Re: DuckHunter Build

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:23 am

Where are u located?
cajunsnowchaser

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Pennsylvania, near Reading (SE)
AmericanBrittGuy

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:07 am

AmericanBrittGuy wrote:Got my plans. Beginning to gather materials. The only "local" supplier of marine plywood only carries fir. Should I make a 3 hour drive to get oukeme?

Fir is more likely to check and a little heavier but still better than exterior pine ply. You can see what World Panel Products will ship it for. They are typically cheaper on shipping than I can drive there for.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks Brad. I've read the plans, maybe 10 times. One question: how do you get the 'curve' in the hull at the bow if the sides aren't curved?
AmericanBrittGuy

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:27 am

AmericanBrittGuy wrote:Thanks Brad. I've read the plans, maybe 10 times. One question: how do you get the 'curve' in the hull at the bow if the sides aren't curved?

The angle on the chine and the taper in of the bow floor piece create the rocker. As you pull the chine in to the floor and attach it, it will pull the floor up.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:32 am

NCSUDucker wrote:
AmericanBrittGuy wrote:Thanks Brad. I've read the plans, maybe 10 times. One question: how do you get the 'curve' in the hull at the bow if the sides aren't curved?

The angle on the chine and the taper in of the bow floor piece create the rocker. As you pull the chine in to the floor and attach it, it will pull the floor up.

Brad

Gottcha. Thanks for your willingness to help out others. I have done ALOT of woodworking, but never a boat.
AmericanBrittGuy

Postby cajunsnowchaser » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:30 pm

I ordered mine from a place in maine called boulter plywood. They had the best prices for okoume plywood i could find and shipping cost was very cheap compared to other places.
cajunsnowchaser

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

cajunsnowchaser wrote:I ordered mine from a place in maine called boulter plywood. They had the best prices for okoume plywood i could find and shipping cost was very cheap compared to other places.

Thanks, I'll give 'em a look.
AmericanBrittGuy

Postby AmericanBrittGuy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:14 pm

One more question: I have two sets of plans, Big Momma and Duckhunter. If I wanted to lengthen either boat, would I just divide my 'new' length by the original plans length and then multiply the other dimensions (width and length, not heights) by that ratio?
AmericanBrittGuy

Next

Return to Boat Building