Pirogue Build

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Pirogue Build

Postby beekeeper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:29 am

My design but same building procedures that Gator Boats are built with. Brad, if it is inappropriate to post this here please delete.
My chine logs are different(30 deg. angle, 3/4" X 1") than a Crock but this how I fit mine. It should work for other shapes as well.

Fitting the chine logs at the stems:

After the logs are attached to the bottom I turn it over and trim the excess.
It is supported on my strongback(not attached to any forms) and the stems are installed. A strong back is not required. Saw horses or other means of support will work.
The bottom is then shaped to the rocker I desire by moving the height of the strongback stations as needed.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Re: Pirogue Build

Postby beekeeper » Sat May 02, 2015 2:08 am

Made these clamp helpers to hold the side panels to the chine logs.

I had intentions of making some patterns from cheap ply so the next build would simply be a matter of drawing out the lines onto the good ply or use them to make strip panels. I should have just built the boat as I usually do because I have never built two boats the same. Long story short. pattern was not correct and I built two sides that would not work. The flimsy ply's butt splice moved or itwas too stiff to show the proper curve. A very good learning experience but a waste of time and work.
This boat's sides are 8" high and flair 30deg. at its widest point. I found out because of the 5"+ arch needed to match the rocker I wanted, two 12" X 8' panels glued end to end to form a straight board will not work. As I have done before 11" wide panels joined at the proper angle will work . They will make a board that appears bent or shaped as a shallow v.
The angle is easy to determine. I clamp in place one panel and then the other, overlapping where I want my splice to be. Marked the end of the top panel on to the other. Removed the panels, and made the splice at the angle indicated. I did scarf joints so I had to allow for the extra length needed.
After the joint cures completely I reattached the sides and traced along bottom edge of the floor and the stem pieces where they meet the sides. Removed the sides and marked the top edge of the sides close to the shape I am looking for. Their final shape will be made after the sides are attached and can be turned over. I then cut out the outline but stayed proud of the lines .

Last picture for now. It will be a few days before I can start back work on the boat. Sides are attached and planed flush with the bottom.
I clamped a batten to the gunnel edge of the side panel to get a feel for how the lines flow. Anxious to turn it upright and proceed with the tumblehome and breashooks.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Mon May 25, 2015 12:54 am

Finally got back to building (between rains). Turned the boat upright and got my first glimpse at what the final form may be.

Next step was to install the inside gunnels.
I then planed the gunnels to the angles I wanted. They decreased in angle towards each end to allow the tumblehome panels to be near horizontal at the stems.
The stem pieces were cut flush so they will fit under the panels.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I use two 1/4" thick white oak strips laminated together to make each batter board. The first strip is screwed to the stem piece leaving it long at the top and bottom. This allows the second strip to be clamped and glued to it. After shaping, the excess can be sawed flush. The strips are hard to bend so I pre stress them to make for a better fit and less strain on the screws and glue. Soaking them would help but I wanted them to be completly dry before installing. Steam bending them would also work.
I made a form by tracing the shape of the stem onto a 2X4 and cutting it out on the band saw. I then clamped two strips onto the form and left them overnight.
When released they returned to almost straight, but seemed not as stiff. After clamping the other two overnight I then clamped all four together. Before doing two at a time overnight it was much, much harder to bend all four together.
They will stay this way until I'm ready to install them. They should be "warped" enough to make bending and fitting easier

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:44 am

Probably getting ahead of myself, but I spread some paint before completing all of the assembly. I thought it might be easier now rather
than later when it will be hard to reach some places. Last picture for a while time to get back to work. If the fish aren't biting. :)

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm

The rest of the story, short version:
Finishing and fitting the stems scratched the paint and they needed painting also, so the boat had to be sanded and repainted. The bottom had to be painted with the graphite so it was not much extra work.
For the bottom protection I used a product I found at Academy Sports. It is "Goop" Coat It and contains epoxy, graphite, and ceramic powder. It went on easy, finished smooth, appears to be very hard and slippery.
It is finished and I even got it wet a little, but no fish slime :cry: yet.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 am

Very nice Bee! Boards are pretty dead as of late, huh?

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby beekeeper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:27 am

Thanks Brad.
I guess it is just the time of the year when folks are busy with other things. The other board I post on is pretty slow also.
I learn and enjoy other builders posts, so I hope it is a temporary lull and not a falling away from wooden boat building.
Thanks again for letting me post here and for your participation.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:25 pm

beekeeper wrote:Thanks Brad.
I guess it is just the time of the year when folks are busy with other things. The other board I post on is pretty slow also.
I learn and enjoy other builders posts, so I hope it is a temporary lull and not a falling away from wooden boat building.
Thanks again for letting me post here and for your participation.

beekeeper

Yeah I'm working on an ATC headed to Jersey and finished up the 1870s scull restoration I had been working on. Ready see someone that is starting a DH or something :D

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby beekeeper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

I had two main goals for this build. One was to learn how to have the lines of the tumblehome panels flow into the breasthooks/decks at a more natural look( to my eye). I am pleased. The other was to have it fit in my truck better. My other boat sort of tetters there until it is tied or some weight is added. I failed. This one is doable but my efforts did not change the problem.
I finally figured out the error. I shortened the floor by 6", but the sides at the stems are taller so the overall length remained about the same. Normally I would have made some rough sketches and would have known the overall length befor building. The height of the sides at the stem(for this boat) was not determined until they were cut to make the shape I prefered.
Live and learn.

bee
beekeeper

Return to Boat Building