Best Bottom Protection, Maybe?

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Best Bottom Protection, Maybe?

Postby beekeeper » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:25 am

It will take a few fishing trips to determine how well this may work, but I'm guessing very well.
Very smooth, semi transparent, does not rub off, and very hard.
Two coats. Mix ratio = 1 oz. powder per 4 oz. epoxy
Finished with two coats of Teflon boat wax for UV protection and a very slippery surface.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Re: Best Bottom Protection, Maybe?

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Cool! How does it sand? Keep me posted on how it stands up!

Thanks,
Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby beekeeper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 pm

I only sanded the first coat enough to scuff it a little to make sure the second layer would adhere to the first one. It seemed very hard and I would not want to have to sand it away. Probably too hard to work well as a filler or for filets. Seems to be harder than the graphite/epoxy mixes. May not be as slippery but resists cuts and scrapes better.
A friend needs his boat's bottom refinished. I think we will try adding graphite.
After only about three trips the coating is looking promising. More time will tell. I will post, good or bad.

bee
beekeeper

Postby JOBBER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Beekeeper,
Sorry for the late reply, but you are always trying different solutions to problems. You mentioned trying other coatings also.
I found some forum information on applying truck bed liner (a polyurethane coating) on the bottom of drift boats, for protection. It supposedly repairs easily too.
There are a number of manufacturers out there, but MONSTALINER yellows and oranges contain lead. This is good for preventing wood decay.
There are no "rubber" granules in their product. Texture is achieved through the application process. There is a procedure to “smoothen” the texture.
I question the factory about adding powdered graphite. They had done no testing. Their MSDS sheet shows 1%-5% (by weight) carbon black in their “black” color, and none in their tintables. My though was substituting powdered graphite for carbon black.
JOBBER

Postby beekeeper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:52 am

You would think truck bed liner should work well as a bottom protector. I have not used it. The idea is brought up often, but I have not heard of any actual applications. Seems if there were no issues with it, there would be more boats coated with it. I will do a search for drift boat usage.
My experiences (limited) and deductions(could be erroneous) leads me to think a "hard" coating offers the best protection from cuts and gouges. Graphite seems to act more as a sacrifice, than as a barrier . It does provide a fair and smooth surface that may increase the efficiency of the hull. Other builders' and users' mileage may vary.
I build and use paddle boats so I have no idea how any of this would apply to power boats.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Return to Boat Building