Looking for suggestions...

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Looking for suggestions...

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Ok, so i'm about to order the Duckhunter boat plans but I wanted some suggestions. I'm looking to build the boat and power it with a 10hp Copperhead surface drive. My big question is am I better off building a hunt deck and mounting the motor on that or should I do pods? I haven't seen any pics of pods on the DH so that was the big question. I have a 1448 Tracker now with pods and a 23 GTR and it works great. Any info would help. This will be my first big boat build. I have already built a Hybrid NL and this one sure does look a lot more detailed and a lot more glassing and wood.
Ichabod97

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am

Or do I even need a hunt deck or pods. I know the Copperhead weighs in somewhere over a 100 lbs. I'm sure some of those outboards I have seen on these boats are right up there with weight.
Ichabod97

Postby beekeeper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 pm

I can't answer your questions because I have never built a Duckhunter.
I am curious though. What is a "Hybrid NL"?

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm

This is a hybrid NL. Sides, bottom and top are all 1/4" luan. Bottom is fiberglassed on both sides. Had this boat for 5 years and still holds good. Weighs in at 65lbs and fits in the bed of the truck perfectly. It is just under 8' long and the bottom is 36" with the side kick out it is just about 46".

Ichabod97

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:50 pm

We also built a 10' as well because my buddy hunts with a dog. You can paddle these boats, or run a trolling motor, small outboard, or my buddy has run a 7hp longtail on the 10'.

Ichabod97

Postby beekeeper » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:47 pm

Cool boats. How wide is the bottom side panel?

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

You won't need pods or hunt deck for the weight, I ran a 21 hp MB Hyper that weighed in at 196 lbs on a virtually stock built DH. However, I will add that you will definitely want to add wedges as 10 hp is probably noy going to meet your expectations on speed or performance. The wedges will help, but my guess is you're going to be around 10 mph with a load if not lower and definitely the prop will probably have to run deeper than intended to reach that.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:25 pm

beekeeper - the floor is 36", the side bottom panels are 6".

NCSU - thanks for the info. I might just hold off on building one for now. I think for the time being i'm going to follow the route of one of the guys on DHC that took a jon boat and put a sneak boat style top on it. Might wait till next summer to build the Duckhunter. Should have my new barn up by then which would give me more building space as well and possibly go with a bigger motor.
Ichabod97

Return to Boat Building