New DuckHunter build

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

New DuckHunter build

Postby Msmiley36 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Ok, started my DuckHunter a few days ago. I want to start off with this is my first "prototype" as I have OCD and I know I will not be happy with it. But I wanted to build one to figure all the building issues before I build my real one. (and I am learning quickly lol) So I did use Lowes type wood. So here are my changes, on the 6" floor markings, I went 5.75" to shorten boat a little. I also took 2" off those measurements width wide on each side to narrow hull 4". I have several questions for you veterans.
1. is it a mistake on the plans with the curve measurements in the bulkheads? Are those dimensions reversed? I could not get the bow to bend at all
2. I used 3/4" ply for a chine on one side, is this detrimental? Please see picture
3. I see everyone talking about glassing the outside and inside. 6oz on the bottom I know, but does everyone use cloth on the inside? or just coat it a few times with epoxy? The deck, same question
Attachments
boat build3.jpg
boat build3.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
boat build2.jpg
boat build2.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
boat build1.jpg
Here is the chine with a break, should I double this up or cut the whole thing out?
boat build1.jpg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Msmiley36

Re: New DuckHunter build

Postby NCSUDucker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 am

Msmiley36 wrote:Ok, started my DuckHunter a few days ago. I want to start off with this is my first "prototype" as I have OCD and I know I will not be happy with it. But I wanted to build one to figure all the building issues before I build my real one. (and I am learning quickly lol) So I did use Lowes type wood. So here are my changes, on the 6" floor markings, I went 5.75" to shorten boat a little. I also took 2" off those measurements width wide on each side to narrow hull 4". I have several questions for you veterans.
1. is it a mistake on the plans with the curve measurements in the bulkheads? Are those dimensions reversed? I could not get the bow to bend at all
Not sure I'm following you on this one. If you are talking about the slight bend at the bottom. I have long ago omitted them for the transoms. Don't look at the plans really anymore except for a few measurements so can't recall if it called for them on the bulkheads too. Regardless, omitting that slight curve doesn't impede any performance and is a hell of a lot easier to do.
2. I used 3/4" ply for a chine on one side, is this detrimental? Please see picture
I wouldn't say its detrimental, my concern would be keeping an eye on it for rot down the road. Plywood has kind of wicking capability from all sides vs that to a lesser extent of dimensional lumber from the ends.
3. I see everyone talking about glassing the outside and inside. 6oz on the bottom I know, but does everyone use cloth on the inside? or just coat it a few times with epoxy? The deck, same question

I don't glass the interior, IMHO, it's overkill. Several coats of epoxy, and granted I coat my floor with spray in bedliner, is sufficient. Especially the under side of the decking which will be out of direct sunlight and only splashed with water.
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Return to Boat Building