best boat finishes besides glass.

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

best boat finishes besides glass.

Postby gwbugg » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 pm

What does Gator Boat Co. or any of you recommend for a good finish for my Big Mama. Would rather not get into glass finish and all that entails.
gwbugg

Re: best boat finishes besides glass.

Postby beekeeper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 am

What, where, and how you plan to use the boat may influence your choice of finishes. I don't build power boats so I could not make a specific recommendation. I will offer my thoughts on finishes based on my experiences and usage of my wooden (paddle powered) boats. Finishes are for looking at and or protection of the wood. Everything is a compromise.
I would consider fiberglass a structural component. As a "finish" it is subject to UV damage. It may offer some protection against cut and abrasion as a sacrificial surface but does not seem to be as hard as one would think.
At this point and time I'm using 2-part epoxy garage floor paint, waxed with marine polish for UV protection. It is very durable and hard. Not sure how well the wax is going to protect it, if not I will paint over with latex.
Some thoughts on bottom protection.
http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... 11&t=10236

Post some more info about you boat and how you will use it and others may be able to help.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Re: best boat finishes besides glass.

Postby gwbugg » Mon May 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I have always wondered about the garage floor paint. Seems to me that it would work well. Glad to know someone is trying it.
My Big Mama, is for my grandson. I finally used a very good grade primer and then followed it with a coat of whit Armour oil base for the inside. On the outside above water section I used and oil base color then 3 coats of clear coat, spar, oil base polyurethane. Did not put the clear coat on the inside because it made the white that I had used look dirty and it will be easier to fix any scuffs if there is no clear coat on it. It will go in the water in a couple of weeks. I will keep you posted. It is made out of wood so it probably won't sink to the bottom.
gwbugg

Return to Boat Building