Pirogue

Gator Boat Co. Wooden Boat Building Forum

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Pirogue

Postby AKhunter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 am

This is my current project while I wait for my DH plans to arrive. This is my first try at posting pictures so lets see if it works.

AKhunter

Re: Pirogue

Postby AKhunter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 am

This is not a design from Gator Boat plans but it is keeping me busy.

AKhunter

Postby beekeeper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:59 am

Nice.
Tell us about it. How long, width, etc. Is the outside gunnel treated lumber?
Did you use "jigs" to spread the sides or do the seats set the shape?

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby AKhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:50 am

It is about 12'. The bottom is 24" and the top comes in around 33" at the widest point. The seats basicly set the width and you spread it around them. I would have used strips to spread the bottom until the seats were installed but I didn't have a soild reference for the begining demisions so I just used the seats to set the spread. I may make some templates from this one so I can make a jig for spreading the sides if I decide to build another one. The gunnels and chines are clear pine that I ripped from some boards on a shipping container. The stems are oak that I resawed and cut from a pallet. The plywood is regular BC pine from one of the big stores. I am using Weldwood glue and it seem to be much easier to work with than Gorillia Glue. I made the seats from scrap pieces of 2x6 that I cut down to a true 1x5 and then glued them up to make a 1x10 to cut the seats from. I used the same process to make the top plates which I will install tomorrow.

Mike
AKhunter

Postby beekeeper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I have not used Gorillia Glue, nor Weldwood. I did use Ellmer's Pro Bond that foames like Gorrillia Glue. It bonded well but, the excess was hard to clean up if it set up. Are you using plans, patterns, or winging it? I was wondering if the sides were arched to reduce the rocker?

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby AKhunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm building it from full size patterns purchased from Bertaut boats. I'm not sure about trying to reduce the rocker from the curve of the hull. I would actually prefer more rocker than what it looks like I'm going to get with this design but I'll have to put it in the water before I can really say that for sure.

My next Pirogue will be to plans from Keith's Pirogues. I really like his design and I appreciate the fact that he took the time to learn what he could from the old masters before that knowledge was lost forever. I searched for people to apprentice under and it looks like Keith may have been one of the last folks to get the opertunity for tapping that knowledge base.

AKhunter

Postby beekeeper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 am

I did not intend to imply you needed to reduce the rocker. It just looked like you would have a "lot" of rocker if the sides were cut straight. Looking at the pictures of the plans the designer posted, the sides are arched, sorta banna shaped. I like the lines of your boat.
How do you plan to use it? Fish, hunt,etc.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby AKhunter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:35 pm

I plan to use it for hunting and I plan to build a larger one for fishing. It is less than 12', so I'm not sure how well it would work for fishing. The holidays are going to slow down my progress but I hope to have it in the water after the first of the year.

Mike
AKhunter

Postby AKhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 am

Ready for the water.
AKhunter

Postby Big Blue 2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Very nice! Just curious...are you planning to tow this behind the DH?
Big Blue 2

Next

Return to Boat Building