My DragonFly build with mods

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

My DragonFly build with mods

Postby Muddyrabbit » Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

This is my first post on the forum. I'm gald that the forum is back up and running. In January I began to build my Dragonfly the boat is being build of kiln dryed Fir and Marine ply wood. I made a few changes to the plans, to make the boat handle better on our local rivers.

Boat lower stringer anf chines 1.jpg
Lower stringer and custom chines
Boat lower stringer anf chines 1.jpg (158.7 KiB) Viewed 9106 times

131 boat.jpg
131 boat.jpg (138.11 KiB) Viewed 9106 times

boat.jpg
Boat as of May 25th, getting ready to mount the seats and stain the hard to reach parts of the boat. One of the larger changes I made was to the spine of the boat, I did not toe nail each hog board into each chine as the plans suggested. Rather I dove tailed each chine to create a solid spine that runs from bow to the stern of the boat.
boat.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
Last edited by Muddyrabbit on Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muddyrabbit

Re: My DragonFly build with mods

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 am

Very nice work. Good to see a Dragonfly build, not many of those on here!

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby Muddyrabbit » Thu May 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks Brad, I was surprised to find no other Dragonfly posts on the forum. It looks like such a fantastic first boat project.
I am going to try and post where I encountered the most issues with the plans (but it could have been my lack of boat experience). I hope my mistakes can help the next DF builder save time. Can anyone give me suggestions on varnish or stain? I am leaning toward Marine varnish for the inside of the boat, but any feedback on sealing wood would be much appreciated.
Muddyrabbit

Postby wely » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:13 am

I like your dragonFly! I'm fighting with myself trying to determine if I want t build Big MaMa or the DragonFly.
wely

Postby beekeeper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:49 am

Muddyrabbit wrote:Thanks Brad, I was surprised to find no other Dragonfly posts on the forum. It looks like such a fantastic first boat project.
I am going to try and post where I encountered the most issues with the plans (but it could have been my lack of boat experience). I hope my mistakes can help the next DF builder save time. Can anyone give me suggestions on varnish or stain? I am leaning toward Marine varnish for the inside of the boat, but any feedback on sealing wood would be much appreciated.

I seal the wood with a saturation coat of epoxy, and then 3 to 6 coats of marine varnish for U.V. protection. The Rustolelum Marine Varnish from Ace Hardware was about $17.00 a quart. It went on well, and looked good (I thought). I don't know how well it will hold up. Thined the first coat 20% and the others 10% and the last one full strength. Applied it with a foam roller and then tipped with a dry foam brush. Thin, multiple coats worked best for me. Don't forget to let the epoxy cure completly (about 2 weeks), and wash all the blush away befor varnishing.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Muddyrabbit » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the great Ideas bee! I had to take a little time off from the boat over the last few weeks. But now I'm back on it, the frame has been compleated including adding supports for the sides. Three layers of varnish have been applied to the bottom slatts, seats and sides supports of the frame. Last night my co builder and I spent sanding the side rails to match each other. As soon as my ring nails arrive( next week) we will add the sides to the frame and begin the final assembly. Can anyone supply me with a link for good marine paint?
Muddyrabbit

Postby Muddyrabbit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Guys thanks for all the great feedback. Last week I attached the bottom of the boat which means she's almost done!
Tonight I plan on getting in a few hours of sanding in, all prep work for the final steps.
However I have a question, I'm thinking of having clear finish on the boat rather than paining it. I was talking with a friend who was fairly sure that we could fiberglass the underside of the boat using a clear finish. This finish would look like glass and not require any paint.
Has anyone here attempted this type of finish? If so how is it holding up? This boat will be used in brackish water.
Muddyrabbit

Postby Dennis In Texas » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 pm

What do you mean by clear finish? Like a varnish? If so, I don't think that would work well. If you want to fiberglass the bottom, the only way to do that properly will be to embed the glass in epoxy.

You could finish the boat with stain and then varnish over that for protection. It would not have the same level of protection as fiberglass but it would look nice. If you keep the boat out of the water when you are not using it and out of the sun and weather when storing it, the varnish should hold up for a good while.

Dennis
Dennis In Texas

Postby beekeeper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Muddyrabbit, If you do a good job fiberglassing over the wood it will be clear and the wood grain will show through. I understand there are some stains that epoxy doesn't adhear to. Oil based ones I think. Epoxy/fiberglass will need U.V. protection for prolonged exposure to the sun. Four to six coats of Marine varnish is the standard finish. That may not be an issue for the boat's bottom, depending how it is stored or transported. Auto clear coat is sometimes used, if you have the means or money.
My Grandson's boat is epoxy saturated and then top coated with varnish. No fiberglass.

My stripper pirogue is fiberglassed and then top coated with varnish.

I did the epoxy/graphit coating over the fiberglass on the bottom. Hids the wood but nobody sees the bottom.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Muddyrabbit » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks for the update Bee, after seeing your posting and doing a little research myself. I made the choice to fiberglass the boat wiht 4 mil glass. This was done last thursday, I plan to go wash the top, sides and begin the sanding process this thursday. Thank you again for all the help thus far this has been a fantastic adventure.
If the weather holds out here I will be launching the boat on November 20th.
Muddyrabbit

Next

Return to Builder's Photos