Carving some decoys

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Carving some decoys

Postby Mark H » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Bought a kit from the Duckblind. This is my first decoy carving - Lesser Scaup. Lot of fun.
Mark H

Re: Carving some decoys

Postby Mark H » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Mallard Decoy - got the body done, head is rough carved.
Mark H

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Looking good Mark!

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby Dennis In Texas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Nice job.

I have a thing about hand carved decoys. I love looking at them, especially the old ones. I think the best decoy carvers in the world were the old "masters" from southern Louisiana. I have a couple of books by Charles Frank that provide a great history of the Louisiana decoys and the carvers.

One of my many hobbies (my wife says I have too many hobbies) is to carve decoys. I have not carved a new one in a long time but I hope to find the time to get back at it. I have never carved a mantle piece either because, what's the point? I only wanted to carve dekes for actual use. I have about a dozen handcarved working decoys and would like to one day be able to use all hand made dekes in the spread.

Dennis
Dennis In Texas

Postby Mark H » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks Brad and Dennis.

Dennis, I would love to see them - post up some pics. I too would like to have a dozen or so to hunt over. Next phase is to texture and paint them.
Mark H

Postby Dennis In Texas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I will. I have some pictures at home I will dig out but it might be a while as my home computer crashed this weekend (luckily I had everything backed up). But as soon as possible I will get some pics.

What material are you using? Looks like cork. If so, how is it to work with? I have wanted to try some cork someday. Also what are your plans for painting?

I am not an artist by any means, in fact I am anti-artistic if you know what I mean, and my decoy painting was always weak. I bought an airbrush kit but have never really understood how to use it. Again, if I ever get the time to work on decoys again in a serious way, I will have to figure out that airbrush. I did get a high quality burner and learned some good stuff about how to burn feathers etc. I started a decoy that, when done, might actually be a mantle piece. I started burning the feathers etc. If I am able to get good feather detail, I think I would have to find a real artist somewhere to paint it for me because I would certainly screw it up.

Some more great books for decoy carvers
Louisiana Duck Decoys - Charles Frank
Louisiana Lures and Legends - Brian Cheramie
Another carver I admire is Patrick Godin. This guy is a true artist. He puts out several pattern books and I eventually began to emulate his style somewhat. You can see his pattern books here http://www.theduckblind.com/godin_decoy ... _books.htm

Dennis
Dennis In Texas

Postby Mark H » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Yes Cork and basswood heads. Painting ---- yes it will be a challenge to keep it from looking like a cartoon duck. I am following the CDs provided by the Duckblind. I will post up a few more pics as I go.
Mark H

Postby Mark H » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 am

Coming along on the Decoys.
Mark H

Return to Builder's Photos