Canadian Gator

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Canadian Gator

Postby rchristopher » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Just a few pics of our Big Momma

We wanted something to use while flyfishing on the lakes as well as some duckhunting come fall.

Made a few booboos during the build. Not sure how many compound mitre cuts I made that were perfectly opposite of what was required. My trusty assistant (shown in photo) was quick to set me straight.

You can see in some of the photos that we used pressure treated wood. It was a challenge to get anything that long that wasn't full of knots and checks. Seems some of the PT stuff was the best.

Made of few small mods: 1x3 keel added for tracking, deck is 3/4 inch 'cause that's what we had laying around and custom cupholders in each seat.

Seams and keel fibreglassed and clothed. Bottom and sides rolled with resin.

Was extremely tough to buy oil based flat paint locally. Finally settled on good old Tremclad rust paint. A gallon is reasonably cheap. Bought some camo-spray bombs for the finishing touches. We just used some leaves and sticks we found around the yard for stencils.

Cogitated over the oar placements for some time. Seems everyone has a differing opinion on how far aft of the seat the locks should go. I finally went on what felt right. Around 17 inches.

Stern wasn't finished until after, my garage was too short to get at it!

It worked great on its inaugural voyage, rowed easily into the wind and didn't leak a drop.
Rick

Boat2.jpg
Boat2.jpg (54.8 KiB) Viewed 9034 times

boat3.jpg
boat3.jpg (156.79 KiB) Viewed 9009 times

boat2c.JPG
boat2c.JPG (116.35 KiB) Viewed 9022 times
rchristopher

Re: Canadian Gator

Postby Dennis In Texas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Good job! Also beautiful scenery in the background of the 2nd pic.
Dennis In Texas

Postby wely » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 am

I love you boat! Please post more pictures!
wely

Postby rbduck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 am

Hey CG, nice to see anotherCanuck in here and also another Big Momma. Great pics. My bud and I built one three years ago and we love it.

Ron :mrgreen:
rbduck

Postby beekeeper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:05 am

Great job. Felt good when it didn't leak, right :) I'm with Dennis and wely. More pictures, please.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby rchristopher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yeah - a great feeling when it didn't leak! My first real boat project so I had no expectations whatsoever.

Here are a few more shots that my wife took last fishing excursion.

The oarlocks leave a little to be desired. They are too small in my opinion. I would have liked to get a nice bronze set but couldn't bear to pay $60. I was also going to make some oars but the fishing season was slipping by. Maybe next winter.

Rick
Attachments
image_009.jpg
image_009.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 8952 times
image_004.jpg
image_004.jpg (210.71 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
image_002.jpg
image_002.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 8968 times
rchristopher

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Nice work and I agree with Dennis, some beautiful scenery. Are you in an area of Canada that sees lots of waterfowl?

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby rchristopher » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

We live in Prince Edward Island.

Lots of ducks and goose hunting is a big deal. We figured the Big Momma could be dual purpose.

Rick
rchristopher

Postby Muddyrabbit » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Wow, that build looks great nice job! It's always nice to see someone taking a Gator out ot Fly Fish with. I hope to have my Dragonfly in the water within 60days. I just applied the sides last night! Again nice work and thank you for the addition image's..
Ps how did you figureout where to add the Oar holders I have been unable to find anywhere that offer help on placement.
Muddyrabbit

Postby rchristopher » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Ah yes, the infamous oar lock question. I Googled until my eyes bled. There are as many opinions out there as there are boats.

I found everything from 9 to 18 inches from the edge of the seat. What I finally did was flip the boat over on the lawn and sit in it. Then I placed them where it just felt right. I can measure and let you know if you like. I seem to recall it was about 17 inches.

Rick
rchristopher

Next

Return to Builder's Photos