DH photos in use?

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

DH photos in use?

Postby ryan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Hello
I am getting ready to kick off a build and wanted to see if anyone had photos of their DH in use. Something with 2 hunters and a dog maybe? I am trying to determine if I need to "supersize" my DH to 17' to accomodate 3 hunters and a dog.
ryan

Re: DH photos in use?

Postby Dennis In Texas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:22 pm

ryan wrote:Hello
I am getting ready to kick off a build and wanted to see if anyone had photos of their DH in use. Something with 2 hunters and a dog maybe? I am trying to determine if I need to "supersize" my DH to 17' to accomodate 3 hunters and a dog.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to carry 3 hunters, a dog and presumably some guns, decoys etc., then you will need a bigger boat. I would biggie size it.
Dennis In Texas

Postby ryan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:07 pm

so is there a good formula to follow to biggie size it? I would like to stretch to 17' - how wide would I increase the overall width to? Proportionally speaking - moving from 14'7" to 17' would be about a 17% increase. Would I then increase the overall width by the same 17% - to roughly 6'6"?

I am handy with wood, know nothing about the hydro engineering that drives boat design. I just don't want to create anything that has a hard time moving through the water.
ryan

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 pm

ryan wrote:so is there a good formula to follow to biggie size it? I would like to stretch to 17' - how wide would I increase the overall width to? Proportionally speaking - moving from 14'7" to 17' would be about a 17% increase. Would I then increase the overall width by the same 17% - to roughly 6'6"?

I am handy with wood, know nothing about the hydro engineering that drives boat design. I just don't want to create anything that has a hard time moving through the water.

Should have paid attention in that math class :lol: Just kidding! You're on the right track.

The boat built to specs is roughly 14.583', so if you want an overall length of 17' you can divide 17 by 14.583 to get 1.166 which like you say is an increase of about 17%. All of your measurements if you are going to keep things proportionate should increase by 17%. Obviously, you would deviate at the transom and go ahead and extend it to 20". 6'6" for the width sounds wide, but not sure what measurement number you are using. Regardless, the floor for example is 48" by the plans so the new floor should be 4.68' wide. The DH2 that I build is basically a 25% increase. However, once you start doing this, you will want to measure and cut every piece to fit as opposed to going by your calculated numbers on the plans. Little variations are going to add up. Obviously, some things will stay the same such as your new bulkhead height, bow height but the rest will be cut to fit. Don't forget to move increase your 6" marks by 17% as well. Lastly, just convert all of your numbers to 1/16ths.

Brad

Brad

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 am

Don't forget to move increase your 6" marks by 17% as well.

What do you mean here? Honestly, I haven't recieved my plans yet. I am just trying to think through any mods now... and be patient.
ryan

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:13 am

one more question - what are the dimensions of the "cockpit" of a standard DH? That is really where I am looking to gain a bit of real estate. Do you know the measurement around the top edge (not sure of the term for this).
ryan

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:18 am

ryan wrote:
Don't forget to move increase your 6" marks by 17% as well.

What do you mean here? Honestly, I haven't recieved my plans yet. I am just trying to think through any mods now... and be patient.

I'm curious how I signed my name 3 times in the last post...lol

When you lay out the floor to specs, you mark the center line and mark it off in 6" intervals. It is at these intervals you measure out a specified distance and make a mark. Those marks are connected using a batten (flexible, straight grain, wood strip) to connect the dots. However, if you are going to increase to 17', you want simply add 3' to the floor because you wouldn't have measurements for those sections. You'll understand better when you get the plans and see how the floor is created. Just keep in mind you sections will be 7.02", effectively 7", with the same number of stations as on the plans. So with you wanting OAL to be 17 the floor will actually be a little shorter because the transom and bow extend on an angle past the ends of the boat. I just did the math real quick and it shows the floor being 16.38'

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:20 am

one more question - what are the dimensions of the "cockpit" of a standard DH? That is really where I am looking to gain a bit of real estate. Do you know the measurement around the top edge (not sure of the term for this).
ryan

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 am

ryan wrote:one more question - what are the dimensions of the "cockpit" of a standard DH? That is really where I am looking to gain a bit of real estate. Do you know the measurement around the top edge (not sure of the term for this).

Again, you can just multiply 1.17 times the original dimensions to see the new dimensions. The cockpit is 25" wide at the top, so your new width would be 29.5" and the cockpit is a little over 8' at the opening, making the new length 9.36'. You can gain some more cockpit space by eliminating some or all of the covered storage at the front of the cockpit.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Return to Builder's Photos