Paddles

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Paddles

Postby beekeeper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:11 am

Lots of fun learning how to make these:
Traced my son's crawfish stirring paddle onto a $.51, 2X4 from H.D. cut off bin, for my first try.

I'll probably never use it:

A "bright" idea gone dim. Thought I would make a short double paddle to ease the boat along while fishing. Could be used as a single paddle but would not have to swap sides of boat. Just pick it up and paddle on which ever side of the boat you needed to. Did not work too well in practice. Not the first time my ideas didn't pan out. It was still a lot of fun to make and I need the practice.

I thought it looked good on the boat.

Only thing lost was time, but what is time to a paddle? :roll:

A lot of pirogue paddlers around Lake Bistaneau use two short (36" or less) paddles. One in each hand, (thumb on top side of fist) held at the shaft next to the blade. The stroke is a grubbing motion (reach forward, stab paddle into the water and pull rearward), alternating left and right stokes. Only one paddle is used when casting or other activities. I don't have any pictures but I will try to get some and post. I did not explain this well, but the two short paddles in this picture are being made for that usage:

Used some more discount cut off boards for practice, befor investing in good wood. I like building these things.

The blades and shafts are made from a 3/4" board, with another strip laminated to the shaft. I did this to make the shafts thicker than 3/4". The shafts finish out 1.25" thick X 1" wide. Without the added strip they would be 3/4" thick X 1" wide.
The third and sixth ones from the left are pine with a cedar strip. The others are cedar blades and shafts with pine strips.
This picture shows the strips better.

The strips are different lengths, but I was not trying to build a matching pair, just experimenting.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Re: Paddles

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Very nice bee. Just now having time to sit down at our desktop so I can actually see the pictures (my laptop is a school issued and their filter blocks all pictures). Anyway, very nice work!

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Postby beekeeper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 pm

:) Thanks, Brad.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 am

After practicing on the scrap wood I bought some cypress and made these.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Dennis In Texas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Nice paddles. Works of art!
Dennis In Texas

Postby beekeeper » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks Dennis.
I don't know about the "art" thing, but I was pleased. The cypress was nice to work with and should work well. It is not as hard as ash but, lighter and is the traditional paddle wood for here.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby Dennis In Texas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I love working with cypress. I have carved a few decoys from it. That is, from that soft part at the bottom of the tree.
Dennis In Texas

Postby beekeeper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 am

A new crawfish stirring paddle for my son.

beekeeper[/quote]
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 am

Finished a cypress paddle with white oak tip and a "plain old pine" one. The cypress is nice to work with using hand tools. I used pine for the other paddle because it is what I had and I wanted to make a paddle.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Postby beekeeper » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Not pretty wood but it works.

beekeeper
beekeeper

Next

Return to Builder's Photos