Alaska DH

A place to show off your completed build.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Alaska DH

Postby AKmik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:07 am

Here's my Kodiak DH. All wrapped up and in use.

Here's a couple pics from this weekend . I removed the blind before pics the first day. Four Harlequin that trip, missed a few and the eagles stole three others from me before I could pull the anchor and get to them. Unfortunately I could not get to the camera fast enough either.

Day two ended up with four harlequin drakes, one hen and a scotter, with only one taken by the eagles today.
I made a simple blind out of camo burlap and hunted it semi layout style with the boat anchored right beside a rocky point. I did manage to miss shots at some goldeneye and a lone mallard today while fiddling around with coffee, and boat rigging. The usual duck hunting fumbles, but all in all a great couple days with the new boat.

The reccomendation of the 20hp tohatsu was right on the money, the boat flys!! I need to fine tune a bit, getting some cavitation as the boat gets up on plane but I will work it out. I have the motor one up from bottom on the adjustment, and the plate is right in line with the planing wedges, so I may need to move her down a tad to cure this.

I moved up the shoreline about 100yds today, you know where the duck that passed by me yesterday landed. It worked out well enough. I think the next trip will be into the marsh to see if I can get some puddle ducks, or a goose.

So far I love the boat, rides great and sits nice and low.

I am ready to build another.
Attachments
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG (114.82 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG (78.33 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
AKmik

Re: Alaska DH

Postby AKhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Nice work! Your boat looks great. I built my first DH when I was in Kodiak. When I saw your pictures I knew exactly where you were hunting.
AKhunter

Re: Alaska DH

Postby AKmik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks AKhunter,

Yep, a decent spot close to home. I really love hunting here, and now with a boat that can cover distance quickly I have zero competition for spots.

I have 8 days left!!! was all set to head out today and woke up to wind gusting to 50mph......that makes the spot in my pic not so nice.
AKmik

Return to Builder's Photos