Cutting the Chines, a photo tutorial.

A collaborative effort to cover the most frequently asked questions.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Cutting the Chines, a photo tutorial.

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 am

Cutting the chines correctly is one of the most daunting tasks in building the DH. Finally after a lot of practice, cussing, chiseling, sanding, dremmeling, etc... I've found a pretty good solution. Remember, "necessity is the mother of invention".

Step 1- Cut a piece of scrap 3/4" ply roughly 5" x 8". The exact size doesn't need to be exact, it is simply a suggestion.

Step 2- Cut the long side of one edge of your scrap on a 45 degree angle and the other on a 10 degree angle. This will serve as your guide for cutting. I will note, that I've found a 15 degree angle does help with the porpoising that is inherent in the design of the DH at higher speeds.

Step 3 - Start at the bow. Position the guide so that the exterior lines up with the front of the floor as the bow will do. Mark a line on the floor and predrill your pilot holes from the top side. Note: the plans say mark back 3/4" but that is a mistake, a 3/4" piece of ply cut on a 45 will have a 1" face.

Step 4 - Run two temporary screws from the bottom into the guide, taking care to keep the front edge lined up for the length of the guide. You don't need to snug them down to tightly or it will pull away from the leading edge.

Step 5 - Using the guide line up a flush cut pull saw and carefully cut the chine.

Step 6 - You now should have one of the bow chines cut on the proper angle.

Step 7 - Repeat the process on the other side of the bow.

Step 8 - Flip your guide over and repeat the process for the transom chines.

The whole process will take less than 30 minutes and considerably less frustation.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Re: Cutting the Chines, a photo tutorial.

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Brad,

Thank you for the great tutorial!!!

Sean
NYGOOSEHUNTER

Postby Guidry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Brad:

I wish I would have seen this before I built my Big Momma. That was hardest part of the build and if I would have done it this way it would've been a snap.

I'll know next time. Thanks
Guidry

Postby NCSUDucker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 am

No problem. I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve after building over 20 boats now. As soon as I get started on the next DH order I'll do a little photo tutorial of them as well.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby bbgooseslayer » Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 am

Brad i have a question for you. i was looking over my DH plans and am a little confused on the measurements on the floor. i get that u have to find the center, but as far as the bend in the chines, is that just your preference how u want it bent? im a new builder so i appreciate your input. im sure i will have other questions to follow. thanks,
Chris
bbgooseslayer

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed May 11, 2011 3:26 am

bbgooseslayer wrote:Brad i have a question for you. i was looking over my DH plans and am a little confused on the measurements on the floor. i get that u have to find the center, but as far as the bend in the chines, is that just your preference how u want it bent? im a new builder so i appreciate your input. im sure i will have other questions to follow. thanks,
Chris

You lay out the floor by marking the center and then the 6" interval lines. Once that is done, you will measure out the specified distance from the center line on each side of the center line and make a mark. Once you get that, you are basically connecting the dots. I do this using a piece of 16', 3/4" x 3/4" clear piece of wood (called a batten). I like using a 18 ga nail gun to tack the batten at each mark. Once its tacked down, you trace the curve. When done, gently remove the batten and the nails (I usually pull them straight through using a pair of needle nose to twist/roll the protruding end over) and repeat on the other side.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby hdimensions » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Question on the floor;
I get the lofting part on the floor, and maybe I am splitting hairs here, but the over all length of the DH is 14" 7'. If my floor is a simple butt joint, what is the the starting length of the floor? If I use a full sheet of ply plus a piece that is 6"7' I have the starting length, but once I install the rocker panels the bend will cause the floor to be a little shorter. I just don't want my rocker panels to not fit right.
This is the second boat I have built, the first was a wood on frame. Once the frames were attached to the strongback you had all the angles.

Steve
hdimensions

Return to FAQs