Homemade Electronic Caller

A place for builders to discuss their outdoor activities.

Moderators: Dennis In Texas, NCSUDucker

Homemade Electronic Caller

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Built one last year but really didn't like the final product. Tidied things up this year and used pretty much the same guts. Except switched to a smaller sealed lead acid battery vs. a lawnmower battery. Also went from banana plugs on the speakers to a simpler more effective setup with regular outlet plugs and a weatherproof receptacle. I've got a 6' mini stereo jack that plugs into the ipod. Ohhh, I can't wait for resident goose season :dv Figured some of you mid-westerner's that have spring snow goose seasons might be interested.

The guts: 8ah 12v battery and a 400 watt Walmart special amp.

2 100watt outdoor loudspeakers via radioshack and 100' of lamp cord on each.

Simply plug them in and you're good to go.

It will deafen you if you stand in front of them. That being said, I've got less than $150 in the whole setup. Granted I had a few things on hand and the box is a modified Dewalt drill box. Obviously I already owned the Ipod.

Brad
Toller Boatworks or become a fan of Toller Boatworks on facebook
NCSUDucker

Re: Homemade Electronic Caller

Postby Mark H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Very cool! Where did you get the geese recording to download on the iPod?
Mark H

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 am

Mark H wrote:Very cool! Where did you get the geese recording to download on the iPod?

Mark, I basically just kept googling things such as canada geese, canada geese feeding, comeback, greeting, etc... Most of the clips were fairly short so I used a free music mixing program called Audacity to loop and add the sound clips together. I have two different mixes I use.

Brad
NCSUDucker

Postby Dennis In Texas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:55 pm

That's pretty cool Brad. And the really cool thing is that after the hunt, you can play Free Bird cranked up to 10 while picking up decoys.

You said resident geese. What do you guys have over there, resident canadians? Is this a post season special season?

We have the conservation season over here on light geese but no resident geese like some places have.
Dennis In Texas

Postby Dennis In Texas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Mark H wrote:Very cool! Where did you get the geese recording to download on the iPod?

Mark - I have a mix of goose calls that I would be happy to send you on a cd if you want. Or Brad might as well. His may be better than mine.

You can rip it into your ipod.

Dennis
Dennis In Texas

Postby NCSUDucker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Dennis In Texas wrote:That's pretty cool Brad. And the really cool thing is that after the hunt, you can play Free Bird cranked up to 10 while picking up decoys.

You said resident geese. What do you guys have over there, resident canadians? Is this a post season special season?

We have the conservation season over here on light geese but no resident geese like some places have.

Yes, we have a big population of resident canada geese. The season runs the month of September before regular duck season comes in. The limit is 15 per day, unplugged shotguns, electronic callers and 1/2 hour past sunset. The wildlife commission even batted around the idea of allowing lead over fields.

Brad

ps - and yep, there has been a morning or two when the music rolls out when we're done :lol:
NCSUDucker

Return to Hunting & Fishing Related